Friday, July 2, 2010

Sweet and spicy Malaysia served through the plates of New Malaya

Three o'clock in the afternoon and I haven't had lunch. I was glued on TV for most of the morning because I wanted to witness the historic inauguration of President Noynoy Aquino. After which, I did some internet research.

I felt hunger and I've been dying to try out a not so new restaurant along Lopez Avenue that offers Malaysian cuisine. It occupies a two-unit duplex commercial space opposite PS Bank and about a hundred meters away from Robinsons Townmall Los Baños.


For those who walked the streets of Grove and Lopez Avenue, Los Baños, Laguna seven years ago, a veterinary clinic and a boutique formerly housed the commercial space. But the vet clinic was moved to a different location and the boutique had shut down. Now, its New Malaya, that occupies the space.

What intrigued me to try out the place, aside from me wanting to experience a different flavor, is the engaging view from the outside. Its a very small restaurant with transparent glass doors where bamboo benches partner with bamboo tables draped in batik cloth as mantles.

The restaurant started operation in September of 2009. As I took a seat in one of the bamboo benches and laid my stuff on the table, the attendant was gracious enough to share what they had in the menu from fried tofu to Malaysian fried rice and many other weird sounding dishes. I asked for the bestseller and house favorite and the waiter offer the Nasi Lemak with Chicken Rendang and I opted to order the cold Teh Tarik for a drink. Its 3PM and its hot.

As a complimentary drink while waiting for the meals, they offer free hot tea. I am a tea drinker so I accepted the offer. Jasmine tea was served, well yeah, its one of the tea bags you can buy at a grocery store. Nonetheless, I tried, let it cool down for a couple of minutes because I like my tea lukewarm.

On a second thought by a first time diner, the place is engaging. The place is kept cool by a wall fan and its not enough. Its very oriental, from the green linoleum floor to the wall decors.

Then the food. I was surprised that the food was served quick. However, it was not very aromatic nor flavorful and the plating was that of a regular binalot restaurant.

The nasi lemak with chicken rendang is like a three dish in one plate...with a bonus muncher-peanuts. Its served with rice cooked in coconut milk, sauteed sweet and spicy anchovies (dilis), half of a medium boiled egg and a two-piece chicken rendang. I can't remember what rendang means but its like a combination of lemon grass and ginger. Not like the visual effect, the taste  broke the first impression.

I love the dilis, the spiciness and the sweetness. Its also probably a trick. I had to taste the dilis first and for the rest of the meal, you really can't enjoy the rest of the flavors in the place. But even so, the chicken gets a rating of 1.50 by the standards of the UP system.

The cold teh tarik (milk tea) is also a surprise. Had it been coffee-based, its going to be the closest competitor of the ca phe sua da of Ba noi restaurant. I love the strong tea flavor mixed with milk-creamy and leaves an after taste that washed out the sweet-spicy flavor of the dilis.

More than the menu and the simple yet accommodating and really hot interior, I'll give the service plus points. The friendly staff (hopefully it was not just for that day) showed familiarity by expertly explaining the menu. I felt she wasn't someone pretending to be an expert on Malaysian food.

Eating must be enjoyed to the last of its flavor. And there are quite a number of food flavors still left untasted. Every culture has its unique flavor, spicy (Vietnamese), spicy and nutty (Thai) and probably sweet and spicy for Malaysia. Its a first time for me, and I'll definitely be back to try out the other dishes..and I want my wife to share it with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment